April 23 @ 8:30 am – 11:00 am UTC-8
What is the Impact Investing Studio?
Forward Global Studios are highly interactive, expert-led programmes designed for members looking to go deeper on a particular practice or skill. They invite you to bring forward a challenge you are working on and to workshop the challenge with the expert, using tried and tested frameworks designed to help you overcome barriers and move forward.
The Impact Investing Studio aims to leave participants with a better understanding of how they can use their treasure, beyond grantmaking, to support their impact aspiration. Rather than focusing exclusively on the theory of impact investing, it helps participants take highly practical steps to align investments across their portfolio with their vision and values, working with wealth advisors and other partners.
The Studio consists of four sections: the first few are led by experts within Forward Global and introduce some key questions and help participants understand how to get started. These sections will be highly interactive and will allow time for participants to clarify where they are at, and note where they will seek further information or take next steps. The final section will give participants a chance to share back with peers, and receive feedback and advice.
- Session One:
- Clarifying your motivation, goals and your role in investing for impact
- Working with wealth advisors and mapping where you have investments and influence
- Session Two:
- Intention-setting: decision-making around impact / return / risks
- Case study of a “full impact” portfolio – what it looks like and how it was built
- Session Three:
- Approaches to investing for systemic impact: supporting social enterprise, stakeholder activism and divestment
- Setting intentions, getting started, learning and impact assessment
- Session Four: Presentations and peer feedback
A full agenda and pre-reading materials will be added in early 2024.
When is the program and when should I register?
Register as soon as possible! The studio will be held on Tuesdays, April 23, 30, May 7, & 14 beginning at 8:30am PST for 2.5 hours. If you have any questions, please contact Sam Underwood, Global Director of Programmes at email@example.com.
Who is eligible to join a Studio?
Studio participation is limited to Forward Global members who have completed an Essentials programme, or who completed the Cohort before 2018. This is required in order that participants have the foundational concepts and language required to go deeper. If you would like to join a Studio but haven’t completed these programmes, please reach out to your Relationship Manager for advice.
Participants must be able to commit to at least three out of the four sessions in order to register. Participants who need to miss a session will receive materials and recordings to help them catch up.
Is this Studio for me?
- have a good sense of your values and the change you would like to see in the world, and
- are looking to clarify how you could use your investments to support your impact aspiration, and
- have a preference for practical advice and interaction over a deep dive into the theory,
- then this program could be a great fit for you.
It is not required that participants have a comprehensive philanthropic strategy, any experience in making impact investments, or deep understanding of financial jargon. The Studio will be more practical than technical and will explain any new jargon that is introduced.
For the most advanced members leading their own impact investing practice and looking to go deeper on questions around conducting due diligence on companies, impact measurement or setting up blended finance models, your Relationship Manager may be able to refer you to courses run by peer organizations in the field.
Who will lead this Studio?
The Studio will be led by experts from across the Forward Global community and will be facilitated by Sam Underwood, Global Director of Programmes.
This kind of program appeals to me – what similar programs would you recommend?
For a peer group going deeper on the systemic opportunities to support social justice, consider joining the New Economy Action Lab.